Monday, January 3, 2011

Christmas and the New Year

Christmas has always been a very special holiday…Mom saw to that. She loved blue lights on the tree, special baked treats and making sure excited children had special gifts to open on Christmas morning. We always traveled to visit Aunt Mary or Aunt Nell, making it a special family day. Even Cousin Ed got into the spirit of things, coming by the house Christmas Eve dressed in his very authentic Santa suit, passing out new toothbrushes to we young ones after we lied about having been good during the past year.

Christmas star on our deck at the old house in Wyoming.
One of those special gifts for me was my twin six-shooters and gun belt, received when I was seven or eight. Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy and Gene Autry had a new cowboy to ride along with them. The smell of fired “caps” still takes me back to that Christmas. Of course, my Mickey Mouse hat was much appreciated, too, especially since they were the fancy hard plastic type ears, rather than cloth. Well, that was true until Billy Sheridan sat on them, breaking them into dozens of small pieces.

More than the gifts or decorations is the spirit of Christmas and the beautiful music that goes along with it. The birthday of the Christ Child, God’s incomprehensible love-filled gift to an imperfect mankind. We Lutherans love to sing and the strains of “Come All Ye Faithful” or “Silent Night” still can bring tears to this ol’ sap’s eyes. I must have been 13 or so when our church choir needed help with their Christmas program. Mom pushed, shoved and begged me to join…and I finally did. That experience, however, helped to instill a lifelong love of music in my ears and my heart. Mom was a very intelligent lady.

Wyoming house decorations---Christmas 2001
The last 15 years or so, I’ve come to really appreciate the Christmas music of Mannheim Steamroller. Founder and Leader Chip Davis has a beautiful way of producing the old favorites in a way never done previously. Even their rendition of Jingle Bells can touch my heart and take me back 50 years in an instant.

Mannheim Steamroller's first Christmas CD
As the famous song states, old acquaintances should never be forgotten and should be brought to mind often. That’s New Year’s to me. Remembering where we’ve been and looking forward to where the next year will lead us. Thinking of those family members and friends, near and far, that make up a part of who we are; New Year’s gives us reason to think about that and appreciate each of those folks and their contribution to our lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment