Sunday, May 8, 2011

Derby Time

With my heritage set firmly in the hills of Kentucky, it's little wonder the Kentucky Derby holds a very special place in my heart. My Mom loved the derby, all the excitement, the ladies dressed in their fancy outfits crowned with those festive hats, and especially the singing of My Old Kentucky Home.

For the past 10 years or so, we've held our own Derby Party at the house, inviting friends and family to get together and enjoy all that makes the Derby so special. Yesterday, we got together for the 137th running and had a terrific time. The weather cooperated, giving us sunshine and 70 degrees.


Before the race, it was time to rekindle old friendships. 

The high school prom also took place yesterday, so my stepson, Keegan, and his friends stopped by for some pre-prom photos.

Keegan and his good friend, Brianda, on the right were a very handsome couple. 

Last year, we encouraged the ladies to wear special Derby hats and found it was great fun to see how inventive some of them were. Some, of course, were downright special, like Judy's choice for this year:

Yup...it's a duck. 

The gals got together for the judging for the coveted "Derby Hat of the Year" award.

Pretty festive, eh?
l-r, Tami, Laura, Dar, Mary, Brenda, Kris and Judy

Our revered Judge Emeritus, R.J., chose his favorite hat and the lucky winner, Kris, received a number of valued parting gifts. Now, Kris happens to be R.J.'s mother, but I'm sure he didn't let that influence his decision!

R.J. knows where his bread is buttered!

A great time was had by all, especially yours truly since Animal Kingdom won the race and I managed to garner one-quarter of our betting pool payoff!

2 comments:

  1. That does look like a good time, and I love the hats.... However, you don't list the gals in the photo wearing the hats, so I don't know who "Kris" is... (but I do know who Judy is, and that is quite a hat!)... So, I know she is R.J's mother, but that still doesn't help much.... (did I miss something? Just trying to figger out who one the hat contest!..... maybe I'm just dopey.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point; my bad. Oversight corrected above.

    ReplyDelete