Monday, July 11, 2011

A Special Day to Remember

Dad would have celebrated his 93rd birthday today.

Yeah, I miss the guy...lots sometimes. Of course, he could be a real sonamagun now and then; I always chalked that up to his tough father, a tough upbringing in those Kentucky hills, having fought in a very tough war and having to be tough in his position as a Plant Manager.

In his retirement years, though, he softened up quite a bit. Age can do that; there's nothing left to prove because "been there...did that" and still around to tell the story. Until his later years, I only saw tears in his eyes on two occasions:  his mother's funeral and my mother's funeral. Mom's do that to their boys.

I seldom indulge in a Boilermaker, but tonight is an exception. It'll be Happy Birthday Dad, a shot of Black Velvet whiskey and a gulp of beer to chase it down.

Rest in peace, Dad, and give my best to those two special ladies, please.

1 comment: