Thursday, May 10, 2012

On Who's Behalf?

Yesterday's announcement by the Obama Administration in favor of same-sex marriage really didn't surprise me, considering the source. What did strike a sour chord was a phrase within the comments by the President.
"When I think about those soldiers or airmen or Marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that 'don't ask, don't tell' is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I've just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married," he told ABC.
"Fighting on YOUR behalf"? Don't kid yourself, and try not to be such a pompous ass while you're at it. Back in the late 60s and early 70s, I spent four years in the U.S. Air Force supporting and defending the Constitution of the United States. In no way was I fighting on behalf of Lyndon Johnson or Richard Nixon!

The Oath of Enlistment that I swore in December 1967 is as follows:
"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."
There, just had to get that little "itch" scratched.




No comments:

Post a Comment