Friday, February 25, 2011

Life Casual

I'm at work as I write this. It's early morning, only one other employee here so far. Still, here I sit wearing jeans and a pullover sweater-thingy with a camo design! Talk about "grunge casual" dress!

My how times have changed. These days, folks seldom "dress" like they did in years gone by. Today, whether at an upscale restaurant or in church on Sunday morning...casual rules. It wasn't always that way in the world. I'm not sure what my mother, her sister, and her brother-in-law were doing or where they were headed when the photo, below, was taken, but those folks are dressed!

l - r:  my Aunt Mary, Uncle John and Mom, probably in the early 1940s. 
I cannot remember the last time I wore a necktie. I cannot remember when I last wore a sport coat, much less a suit. There was a time, back in the late 1970s that I wore a tie to work every day...every single day! So this begs the question:  were those "the good old days"?

This photo of Mom and Dad could have been taken after someone's funeral, or on Easter Sunday, or on their way to someone's wedding, but I doubt it. I'll bet this was just a beautiful Sunday morning after attending church.

Dad and Mom standing outside my bedroom window
at our place in Kramer Homes. I'd guess 1958 or so. 

Once in a great while, it can be fun to get all dressed up and do something special. Of course, then you're wondering if your tie is straight, if your cuffs are showing below the sleeves of your jacket just so, or if the shine is still on those shoes.

But for me, especially at this point in my life, I'm very content with a dress code of Life Casual.

No comments:

Post a Comment