Monday, August 20, 2012

The Garden is Winding Down

Well, in just a month we'll be at the first day of Autumn, so I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that the garden is beginning to slow down. However, in another week or two I plan to get a fall planting in of the more cool-hearty veggies, like lettuce, peas, Swiss chard and a couple others. The snow won't be flying for quite a while, so why not make "hay" while the sun shines?

I apologize for the poor photo quality here (too much green with the wooded area in the background), but I'll follow-up with a few better shots. The tomato and cucumber plants are absolutely huge and both produced very well.


These heirloom cherry tomatoes, you may recall, were
"volunteers" that popped up from seeds in our
compost pile. 
We cannot honestly figure how these Roma
volunteers made their way into the garden. We haven't
grown any Roma tomatoes! 
These Beefsteak beauties were grown from plants this year. They're a
beautiful deep red inside and sweet as can be.
We've enjoyed these mild "Cubanelle" peppers; similar
to banana peppers. They go about 6" long when ripe and
are a tasty addition to a fresh salad.
I plan to dry this basil as soon as it fully matures. 
Our cucumber plants have pretty much stopped production, but we've enjoyed lots of them fresh while looking forward to tasting the dill pickles happily soaking away right now in basement storage. I just checked them and they look great. I made myself put them back on the storage shelving, though, at least for a while longer.

All in all, I've been pleased with our production, considering the crazy hot and dry summer we've experienced this year. As I said, though, the Fall garden is still to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment